05 Oct Aware Wins Esri & ICMA Social Services App Challenge with ‘The Raccoon Challenge’
On Sept 29, Aware Corporation (www.aware.co.th) took first place in the Social Services App Challenge sponsored by Esri – Environmental, Systems, Research Institute (www.esri.com) and ICMA – International, City, Management Association (www.icma.org). The international competition required app development teams to create mobile apps that will help governments deliver significant social services to their communities. The team from Thailand’s Aware Corp. delivered the ‘Raccoon Challenge’ to earn the prestigious award and first prize money.
The sponsors invited teams to create next-generation apps that help governments use data to deliver impactful social services and build stronger communities. Aware’s innovative approach delivers simple daily challenges to app users to reduce plastic waste. The inspiration for the idea came from Aware’s mobile application development team’s own experiences living in Chiang Mai.
“You’ll buy some fruit from a street stall, which comes in a plastic bag… they’ll put that bag into another bag! There is an insane mentality towards plastics here, so we designed the Raccoon Challenge to change it.” said Chotiwit Worasuwannarak, Senior Software Engineer at Aware, and project coordinator on the challenge.
Judges were looking for innovative and creative use of the ArcGIS Platform, Esri apps, maps, services, and APIs to create a desktop, mobile, or web app. Teams were assessed on creativity and originality, the level of technical challenge, the user experience, and potential for real-world application. Worasuwannarak explained,
“To create the app we gathered data regarding waste production in Thailand, and then plotted it using the ArcGIS mapping platform, allowing users to search and retrieve waste production data from provinces around the country. With the user armed with this new knowledge, Rexxie the Raccoon provides fun and simple daily challenges to help reduce the amount of waste each person produces.”
“The tasks are designed to create a change in behavior, for example “a straw free day.” By avoiding them for a day we’ve planted a seed for the user to be more aware of their wasteful habits.
The user simply has to accomplish the task in an allotted time period and the weekly progress bar tracks the accomplishments. Over time the app conditions the user to be more conscience about unnecessary plastic consumption.”
- Chotiwit Worasuwannarak (Seen) – Project Coordinator
- Kanokwan Chantarapraphaporn (Phing Phing) – Lead Designer
- Kimberly Kermode – Design and Voice Over
- Sopita Tiammol (Jahrr) – Design and Data collection
- Koolapat Sirikamol (Tao) – Lead Software Engineer
- Sukrit Mahawongtong (P) – Software Engineer
- Benjamin Otto – Editor and Database Design
For further media information, interviews, images or product demonstrations, please contact:
Aware Corporation Ltd.
Phone: +66 (0) 93 292 5341
About Aware Corporation Ltd.
Aware is a leading technology solutions provider focused on helping businesses increase their operational efficiencies. Aware achieves this by helping clients’ breakdown technology barriers, and optimize business results. Aware specializes in Business Process Consulting, Custom Software Development, Managed Services, Outsourced IT Staffing and Systems Integration. Aware has offices in Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Cape Town, South Africa.
About Esri (Environmental, Systems, Research, Institute)
Esri is a company based out of Redlands, California. They are the developers of the geographical information system known as ArcGIS. ArcGIS is a platform that enables organizations to create responsible and sustainable solutions to problems at local and global scales.
About ICMA (International, City, Management, Association)
ICMA is an organization whose mission is to “create excellence in local government and fostering professional management to build better communities.” They provide services, research, publications, and assistance to leaders, individuals, and organizations throughout the world.
All products and company names herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.
- Spreading The Love In The Office For Valentines Day - March 2, 2016
- Aware presents at the “Creativity Connect Forum” - December 1, 2015
- Aware’s Annual Community Care Event 2015 - November 24, 2015
- Aware Will Be Presenting at the International Creativity Forum, ‘Creativity Connect’ - October 28, 2015
- Aware Wins Esri & ICMA Social Services App Challenge with ‘The Raccoon Challenge’ - October 5, 2015
- Event: Enterprise Collaboration and Unified Computing from Cisco and Aware - September 23, 2015
- Aware Raises Over 16,000 - September 1, 2015
- It’s a busy weekend for Aware - July 22, 2015
- Graduation Day – The Aware Academy - May 19, 2015
- Chiang Mai’s First Digital Job Fair - April 30, 2015