28 May How To Do: Keyword Research
Keyword Research: But How?
Okay, so we have you sold on the whole idea of content at scale, but how do you pick what to write about? Surely we need some data. if you are not targeting search terms (what customers want to know) the whole exercise is completely wasted.
What do you need? You’re going to need access to keyword planner, Google trends, SEMrush and SpyFu (to analyze your competitors and see what they’re doing) oh and don’t forget good old simple Google.
The Longtail keyword:
The premise of the long-term keyword is that it should be less competitive than short tail keywords, higher converting (generally) but have significantly fewer searches. You can see it explained below.
In this instance, the phrase “Wooden Puzzles” is the most popular term, and it may well convert excellently, however it will be by far the most competitive when placed against other classifiers. Typically, visitor for visitor, the more classifiers should give you more targeted traffic and therefore should be higher converting.
If you are lucky enough to be in a position for the short tail keywords. These can be fantastic for branding. With Aware, we are able to leverage our website to rank for “short tail” keywords for the benefit of our brand.
How do I know I can target long or short tail keywords?
Well remember from part 1, the thing about backlinks? Backlinks are the determinant of your ranking capability. Sites like Amazon, Wikipedia, Huffington Post etc feature prominently in your search results because they have millions of backlinks (well at least that’s one reason). These backlinks give the domain authority, which in the eyes of Google gives it prestige over other websites.
How do I find out the data:
The most important tool in your keyword arsenal is Keyword Planner. This will help you with search quantity, tips for other keywords, cost and difficulty (based on advertising).
Or you can simply search in Google, scroll to the bottom for related searches. They will also be presented dynamically in the searchbar as you search.
Keeping up the with the Jones’:
Personally, I like being nosey, I like seeing what the competitors are up to. If they have a good idea, I want to know – if they are pursuing a content strategy I want to understand why. I would also like to know where they are spending their money. While not an exact science it will give you some insight. Introducing SpyFu:
- Meet Gozi: The Number 1 Financial Malware - October 19, 2018
- Meet the Gazorp Malware Builder - October 18, 2018
- What is Artificial Intelligence: Machine & Deep Learning - September 7, 2018
- The Three Tiers of AI: Automating tomorrow with AGI, ASI & ANI - September 5, 2018
- Aware TechBytes Number #4 - August 21, 2018
- VMware Workshop Power of Digital Transformation - June 13, 2018
- HTTPS: Naming and Shaming Unsecured Sites - June 12, 2018
- The 7 Pillars of GDPR Compliance - June 8, 2018
- ทำไม GDPR จึงสำคัญสำหรับธุรกิจ? – ผู้เชี่ยวชาญด้านความปลอดภัยและไอทีควรทราบอะไรบ้าง - June 5, 2018
- Do I need to comply with GDPR? - June 5, 2018