15 Dec LINE TO LAUNCH MUSIC STREAMING SERVICE
With 500 million registered users and 170 million monthly active users, the popular chat messaging app Line has done pretty well since its launch in June 2011, but Its growth has been concentrated in Asia. Will its newly announced music streaming service help it it gain market share outside of Asia?
The new streaming venture, backed by recording labels Avex Digital and Sony Music Entertainment is just one of the services it intends to include in its chat platform, the Japanese company is thinking big. Already a top messaging app, they’re planing a host of new services with the aim of becoming an entertainment and services platform for its users with services like taxi booking, food delivery and a mobile payment service (Line Pay) in the pipeline. But will this attract users in the US and Europe?
In the past, Line has tried to lure users in the U.S and Europe with its popular stickers and games but there has been little traction. The popularity of Whatsapp and Snapchat show us that Western users like the ‘less is more’ approach to their chat apps; a straightforward messaging tool, instead of messaging apps that are bloated with other services that make it more complicated to use. There’s a big chance these new features will further distance Line from the US and European markets but will likely strengthen its position in Asia.
- WHAT THE CEO IS READING – IMPROVING THE BUSINESS-TO-BUSINESS CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE - March 26, 2016
- WHAT THE CEO IS READING – LEADING AND GOVERNING THE CUSTOMER-CENTRIC ORGANIZATION - March 22, 2016
- WHAT THE CEO IS READING – MANAGE YOUR EMOTIONAL CULTURE - February 23, 2016
- WHAT THE CEO IS READING – GETTING TO SI, JA, OUI, HAI, AND DA - December 9, 2015
- 2 นาทีข่าวเทคโนโลยีประจำเดือนกันยายน - October 2, 2015
- 2 Minutes Of Tech. September’s News in 2 Minutes. - October 2, 2015
- PRINT YOUR OWN CROSSGUARD LIGHTSABER - September 22, 2015
- WHAT THE CEO IS READING – FOUR SEASONS: THE STORY OF A BUSINESS PHILOSOPHY - September 17, 2015
- 2 นาทีข่าวเทคโนโลยีประจำเดือนสิงหาคม - September 2, 2015
- 2 Minutes Of Tech. August’s News in 2 Minutes. - September 2, 2015